Art Show Coordinator 2023
Contracted 4-month position
Mid May – Mid September 2023
15 hours a week (estimate)
$5000 ($20 an hour)
Let’s Get Free is a group of long sentenced people in prison, family members of prisoners, returning citizens and justice hearted beings working to end perpetual punishment and build pathways out of the prison. We do this by: working with a statewide coalition to change policies and legislation, supporting individuals through the commutation process, connecting people through our visiting program, advocating for change in conditions of confinement and illuminating the stories of people on the inside through art, film and Daughters Magazine.
Art as a tool for liberation has been a central element of Let’s Get Free’s work since its inception. Our Creative Resistance Committee facilitates the annual art show which culminates in creative energy that rejuvenates our movement, raises awareness about our cause and brings in new people. Our annual art show consists of a month of events, gallery tours and action steps and brings together over 60 artists. The art show is also a contest, auction and fundraiser.
The Art Show Coordinators primary role is to coordinate our committee and volunteers, manage a high volume of detailed data and communicate with artists on both sides of the walls and auction buyers through many different platforms. More information on our past art shows here.
- Communicate with artists (on both sides of the walls), buyers, staff, volunteers, etc.
- Data entry and management of the art itself and communications with the artist.
- Coordinating a team of volunteers, contractors, and community members
- Support getting art show on the website with contractor
- Coordinating graphics for all of the events (advertising)
- Assist with event planning
- Data entry (google sheets) and logistics planning of auction
- Facilitate documentation of the show to incarcerated artists and poets.
- Work closely with etta cetera, current art show lead and the creative resistance committee.
- LGF doesn’t have an office (yet:) so much of our work is online and much of the art is currently at etta’s house
- Crucial times include the last 2 weeks of June & the show runs from July 5 – July 29. The opening is 2nd weekend in July and the weekend of 21 is event packed. (dates are still unfolding)
- Live in the Pittsburgh Region
- Must be available Mid May – Mid September ESPECIALLY June and July
- Coordination skills – ability to facilitate, follow up and keep track of threads to see tasks all the way through.
- Accessible and responsive communicator (ie. You can be reached by your preferred methods of communicating and are responsive. You knows your boundaries and are able to communicate them.)
- Enjoy people
- Confident and Enthusiastic about data entry/ admin spreadsheets – google docs, google sheets
- Flexibility and adaptability to emerging needs
- Social media skills a bonus
- While loving art is a plus this really is a communication, coordination and data management endeavor.
- $5,000 for 4 months (stipend – 1250 a month)
- Project contract with hourly expectations (estimated $20 an hour)
- Average of 15hr/wk
- may fluctuate during high/low traffic ex: june and july are busy
Please apply by sending a letter of interest by May 8th to firstname.lastname@example.org
Akin to a cover letter for a traditional job, this letter could be an email or an email with your letter attached including your motivation for applying, your availability aligning with our timeline, applicable skills and past relevant experiences with emphasis on administration and coordinating. You can share a resume but it’s not required. You could also include a spreadsheet that you love from a past project, if you are so moved. Please put “Art Show Coordinator” in subject line of your email.
All materials must be received no later than May 8, 2023 at 5pm (est)
Expect to hear from us about potential interview and reference request by May 15th. Everyone who submits a letter will receive a reply by May 15th.
Position starting (hopefully) last week of May.
People impacted by the legal system are encouraged to apply.
Questions? Email: email@example.com